Veteran photojournalist and reporter Recto Mercene passed away on October 2, his family announced. He was 77.Mercene had been admitted to the Asian Hospital in Alabang since September 7 after suffering a fall.According to an obituary posted by his publication, BusinessMirror, he was… Read More
Newsman’s photos of Ninoy slay helped rouse nation
Veteran photojournalist Recto Mercene, who became known for his iconic photographs of Sen. Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr., moments after he was gunned down on Aug. 21, 1983, at the tarmac of the airport later named after him, died peacefully in his sleep on Oct. 2. He was 77 years old.
Mercene’s photographs of the Aquino assassination, taken while he was working for the Times Journal, were featured in publications around the world. He was even called to testify when the Agrava Fact-Finding Commission investigated the killing of the opposition leader. An Inquirer feature on Mercene five years ago noted that “it can be argued (his photos) helped spark a revolution.’’READ MORE
Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos has been endorsed by the Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL ) as its presidential candidate in next year’s elections.
The 64-year-old Marcos lost the vice presidential race in 2016 to Vice President Leni Robredo and protested the results claiming he was cheated.
Marcos’ protest had been junked by the Supreme Court.
A coalition of victims of martial law expressed disgust at the possible presidential bid of Marcos.
“Bongbong’s run is a mad attempt for the Marcoses to return and restore their power and rule on a country pillaged and violated during Marcos’ martial law,” the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law (Carmma) said in a statement.
The group said Marcos’ political positioning was meant “to further evade accountability for their crimes, and to promote the historical lies that they have perpetuated.”
“It is also a form of direct support for Duterte’s continuation of his murderous rule, with the Marcoses serving as among his closest allies throughout his administration ridden with countless allegations of extrajudicial killings and other human rights violations, corruption and anti-people governance, and subservience to foreign interests,” Carmma said.
Philippine Army (PA) commander, Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana identified the two female suicide bombers who carried out the twin bombings in Jolo, Sulu that killed at least 15 people and wounded more than 70 others on Monday.In a message to reporters on Tuesday, Sobejana named the two by… Read More
President Rodrigo Duterte would take into consideration the state forces’ recommendation to place the entire Sulu province under martial law following the recent deadly twin blasts that rocked its capital town Jolo, Malacañang said on Wednesday. This was after Army Chief,… Read More
Ahead of the 2016 Philippine national elections where he ran for vice president, former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. hired a public relations firm to undertake a project in social media that would downplay or deny kleptocracy and human rights violations during the Martial Law years under the dictatorial rule of his late father Ferdinand Marcos.
The dictator was ousted during the EDSA People Power Revolution in 1986.
The firm, Cambridge Analytica, was not only to “rebrand” the Marcos family’s image in an attempt to erase from the memory of the Filipinos the rampant killings, torture, disappearances, media oppression and corruption during the 21-year rule of the Marcos dictatorship.
Cambridge Analytica was also tasked to exaggerate the Marcos patriarch’s achievements, as well as vilify critics, rivals, and mainstream media.
In the 2016 election for vice president, despite Cambridge Analytica. Bongbong Marcos lost to Vice President Leni Robredo. Marcos and Robredo remain locked in an electoral protest before the Supreme Court, FULL STORY IN RAPPLER