91.3M Covid-19 vax doses already in PH

MANILA – The Philippines has already received 91,339,530 doses of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccines, according to the National Task Force (NTF) Against Covid-19 on Saturday.Of the total, 51,985,108 doses have been administered nationwide.Included in the total number of doses… Read More

Largest shipment of Russian jab Sputnik V arrives

MANILA – The Philippines received 720,000 doses of the government-procured Sputnik V vaccine on Saturday, the biggest delivery so far by Russia’s Gamaleya Research Institute.Emirates Flight EK332 landed around 4 p.m. at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 in Pasay City with… Read More

Mayor Sara tests positive for Covid-19

DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sara Z. Duterte has tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), the Office of the City Mayor confirmed in a Facebook post Saturday night.The statement said she has mild symptoms and is currently in isolation.“The family requests for complete privacy at… Read More

OCTA RESEARCH: COVID-19 cases declining

Seven-day average of new cases could decrease to less than 10,000 per day by the next week

The average number of new COVID-19 cases continued to decline across the country over the past week, a member of OCTA Research said.

Citing data from the Department of Health (DOH), OCTA fellow Guido David yesterday said the Philippines recorded an average of 13,552 new cases per day from Sept. 29 to Oct. 5, down 23 percent from the average of 17,652 daily cases in the preceding week.

David said the last time the country had a similar seven-day average was from Aug. 14 to 20, when cases were surging due to the Delta variant.

He said the current reproduction number, which indicates the number of individuals a positive person can infect, continued to decrease to 0.77.

“At the current pace, the seven-day average of new cases could decrease to less than 10,000 per day by the next week,” said David.

BAN ON CABINET MEN in Senate Covid-19 fund mess hearing stays

DUTERTE: No way I’ll withdraw memo barring Cabinet

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday night rejected calls to withdraw a memorandum barring officials and employees of the Executive Branch from attending a series of Senate Blue Ribbon Committee probes into the government’s handling of Covid-19 response fund.  

“Pinapa-withdraw nila yung order ko, yung (They want me to withdraw the order) prohibiting people from the Executive Department from testifying. There ain’t no way that I will withdraw it. You can do your worst and I will do mine,” Duterte said in a late-night public address.

He said only the Supreme Court (SC) could decide on whether the memo is “unconstitutional” as some sectors believe.

“Eventually, I think this will reach the Supreme Court. I am not saying that I am all correct. I may be wrong, but I have to protect the Executive Department from the incessant and steady dose of insults coming from the senators,” he said.

Duterte again lambasted the Senate panel for investigating the government’s purchases during the height of the pandemic last year, particularly its transactions with Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp.

He said he wanted to go to the high court to show footage of how “badly” the lawmakers behaved during hearings.

“That’s why I want them to go to the Supreme Court. Gusto kong makita ang footage ng behavior nila (I want to show footage of their behavior)… I want it recorded in history yung pangyayari sa (what’s going on in the) Senate and how they behave badly,” he said. Read More

PALACE EXECS to shun Senate Covid-19 fund mess hearings

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte presides over a meeting with the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) at the Malacañan Palace on April 15, 2019. KING RODRIGUEZ/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

Directed to ‘no longer’ attend hearings

MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday released a copy of the memorandum directing all officials and employees of the Executive Department to stop attending the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearings chaired by Senator Richard “Dick” Gordon.This, after President Rodrigo Duterte… Read More

PHILIPPINE COVID-19 vaccines inventory at 74M doses

Nearly 4M Pfizer, Sinovac jabs up stock

The first day of October saw nearly four million doses of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccines arrive in two shipments, both government-procured and through the COVAX Facility.United States Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Heather Variava and World Health Organization (WHO)… Read More

FILE PHOTO: A woman holds a small bottle labeled with a “Coronavirus COVID-19 Vaccine” sticker and a medical syringe in front of displayed Pfizer logo in this illustration taken, October 30, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

WITNESS IN SENATE COVID-19 FUND SCAM PROBE MISSING

MISSING WITNESS

A day after saying she was willing to work with the Senate in its investigation of the government’s COVID-19 spending, Krizle Grace Mago, an executive of Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp., could no longer be reached.

Duterte OK’s general population vaccination

President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the recommendation to begin the COVID-19 vaccination of the country’s general population in October, Malacañang announced on Tuesday (Sept. 28).

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced during his press briefing, saying that Duterte’s approval was per the advice of vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr.

Elderly residents wait for their turn to get the AstraZeneca vaccine against Covid-19 in Manila on March 30, 2021, after the government imposed stricter lockdown, as hospitals in the capital struggle to cope with a surge in coronavirus infections. (Photo by Jam STA ROSA / AFP)/ File

“Pero iyong mga A1, A2, A3 hindi naman po mawawala ang kanilang priority. Magkakaroon po tayo ng express lane para sa kanila… Ngayong maraming supply eh sisimulan na po natin ang bakunahan ng general population,” Roque said.

The official said the guidelines have yet to be released, including the protocols for the vaccination of minors.

“Magsisimula na rin po ang ating pagbabakuna ng ating mga kabataan. Pero ang ating hinihikayat ngayon ay magpa-master listing na po ang mga magulang,” he said.

“Pinaghahandaan po natin iyong master listing pa lang naman. ‘Pag mayroon na po tayong master list, ‘antayin po natin ang anunsiyo kung sino ang mauuna,” he added.

The government earlier reported that the total received vaccines by the country will reach 100 million in October.

A total of 44,361,285 COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered nationwide as of Sept. 27, including 15,466,087 administered doses in Metro Manila alone.  

PULONG DUTERTE gets Covid-19

Davao City 1st Dist. Rep. Paolo Z. Duterte confirms that he has been afflicted with Covid-19 based on the RT-PCR result released today, September 27.

The congressman is now in isolation at a hospital while his family are also under quarantine at their residence.

Rep. Duterte is not manifesting any severe symptoms.

He expresses his thanks to everyone who showed their concern to him and his family. Rest assured that he will comply with the quarantine and will continue to serve the people of Davao even in isolation.

GORDON: Philippines back as “sick man of Asia” due to corruption under Duterte

Multi-million-peso Pharmally deal the ‘mother of all corruption

Senator Dick Gordon said the Philippines is back to being the “sick man of Asia” due to what he claims as massive corruption under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Gordon, chair of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, dished out this scathing remark as his committee probes allegation of mishandling by the Duterte administration of the multi-billion-peso Covid-19 response fund.

“We are the sick man of Asia again. Naibangon na ang Pilipinas, ngayon balik tayo ,” Gordon said on Wednesday, September 22, at the continuing hearing of the blue ribbon on the questionable award in 2020 by the Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management (PS-DBM) to Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corporation of over P8.6 billion worth of contracts to supply Covid-19 medical supplies and equipment

The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee chairman described as the “mother of all corruption” the Duterte administration’s award of the pandemic supply deals to a foreign company owned by Chinese nationals.

Although the probe has earned the ire of the President, Gordon said his committee will not stop investigating the government’s transactions with Pharmally if more anomalies are discovered,

GO ON COVID-19 FUND PROBE: Truth must prevail

BY DURIANBURGDAVAO ON  • ( LEAVE A COMMENT )

By ROGER M. BALANZA

“We want these issues resolved soon so that the whole country can bring back its focus on the most important task at hand, which is overcoming this pandemic and saving lives,” Senator Bong Go said.