11 KILLED IN BUKIDNON BUS BOMBING

bombingBUKIDNON. A bomb exploded inside a Rural Transit Bus Mindanao bound to Cagayan de Oro from Wao town in Lanao del Sur. The explosion occurred in front of the main gate of Central Mindanao University in Maramag, Bukidnon around 5:30 p.m. (Grabbed from Pulitika sa Bukidnon Group posted by Goody JTabz)

Police in Maramag, Bukidnon are conducting post blast investigation on a bus bombing Tuesday afternoon, December 9,  that left at least eleven passengers dead and more than 15 others wounded, police said.

A manhunt is now ongoing against the suspects who were captured by a CCTV camera in Poblacion Maramag where the bus left before proceeding to Valencia City from Wao, Lanao del Sur, according to Police Inspector Jeselle Longakit, Bukidnon police spokesperson.

Longakit told Church-run Radio DXDB in Malaybalay City that the blast occurred at the rear part of Rural Bus at past 5 p.m.

Longakit said the explosion, believed to be from an improvised bomb with mobile phone as trigger mechanism, occurred while the bus was in transit in front of Central Mindanao University main entrance in Barangay Musoan, Maramag, Bukidnon.

No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb attack that occurred more than a month after another bus of the same company was subjected to IED attack that left four persons wounded.

Longakit said most of the passengers were heading home from a fiesta celebration in nearby Wao town in Lanao del Sur.

The bus firm had been receiving extortion letters from lawless elements asking protection money.

Longakit said the wounded were rushed to hospitals in Valencia City and Poblacion Maramag. (PNA)

Fibeco: Partnership with Kegi a commitment to Bukidnon’s progress

    CITY of VALENCIA, Bukidnon – The First Bukidnon Electric Cooperative, Inc. (FIBECO) partnership with King Energy Generation Inc. (KEGI) on a twin diesel-powered generation plant project is part of Fibeco’s commitment to the progress and development of Bukidnon.


The first plant—the 3.2MW Bukidnon Power Plant I bunker fuel power plant in Barangay Puntian, Quezon—was inaugurated on July 29, 2012.
KEGI and FIBECO are currently working in another partnership—the 4.4MW Bukidnon Power Plant II diesel plant in Bagontaas, Valencia City.     As part of FIBECO’s 10-year power supply plan, our ultimate goal is to have enough power in our coverage area. We are seriously taking moves to address the power needs in the province as well as in Mindanao, said FIBECO General Manager Engr. Renato S. Cortezano.
Kegi’s entry into the Bukidnon power supply scene is part of immediate  solutions to the current power crisis, said Cortezano.
We hope to contribute to the progress of Bukidnon by inviting investors in power generation to provide electricity at very reasonable power rate, Cortezano said. MEL N. VELEZ

Assessor chips in P66M to Maramag coffers

         MARAMAG, Bukidnon – After chalking a record high collection of P66 million in tax year 2010-2011, the biggest in Region 10, the Maramag Assessor’s Office has vowed another high-level performance this year.


Municipal Assessor Officer Engr. Evelyn Alburo-Lantong said her office would continue to intensify collection of Real Property Tax (RPT), the biggest contributor to Maramag’s revenues.
Alburo-Lantong said strong efforts would also be focused on tax declaration payments by beneficiaries of the Land Administration and Management Program (LAMP) II.
LAMP, a partnership between and among the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) and the Maramag municipality, has so far given out land titles to 1,017 recipients who are potential payers of current and back taxes, said Engr. Alburo-Lantong. MEL VELEZ

THE DURIAN POST – BUKIDNON – VOL 1 NO 2 – Aug 6 – 12, 2012 – No Zubiri-Calingasan battle in 2013 Bukidnon polls

BY MEL N. VELEZ

The anticipated grand battle in the gubernatorial race between Gov. Alex Calingasan and Vice Governor Jose Maria Zubiri has gone pfffttt! with the governor himself saying he is not clashing head-on with Zubiri in the 2013 elections.
I will vie for vice governor in next year’s elections, Calingasan told media in a dampener that steals away early excitement over a possible clash between him and Zubiri in the contest for the province’s top post.
Calingasan bared his decision to slide down to the second highest position last week to Mindanews after taping his weekly radio program “Ang Bukidnon Karon” (Bukidnon Now) Program.
The vice governor told Mindanews that the decision was arrived at in a meeting with Zubiri last month brokered by a group that included businessman John Perrine.
Prior to his statement, a potential Calingasan-Zubiri clash in the coming elections has been subject of persistent speculation in political circles.
Earlier, the League of Municipalities (LMP) in Bukidnon took steps to head off the showdown and patch personal and political differences between the two officials.
During a meeting in May in Lantapan town, LMP members expressed worry over the rift and intensively discussed the conflict and offered help in mediating in the rift.
The mayors were Nenita M. Suyao (Kalilangan), Romeo P. Tiongco (Damulog), Rey B. Baula (Sumilao), Godofredo I. Balansag (Lantapan), Joelito J. Talaid (Kadingilan), Aida B. dela Rosa (Malitbog), Edilberto F. Ayuban (Dangcagan), Alice P. Resus (Maramag), Pedro R. Alvarez (Baungon), Rogelio N. Quiño (Manolo Fortich), Manolito G. Garces (Pangantucan), Nestor B. Macapayag (Talakag), Rogelio C. Castillanes (Cabanglasan), Mario T. Okinlay (Impasug-ong), Laurencia S. Edma (San Fernando), Felix S. Manzano (Don Carlos), Rodito B. Rafisura (Kitaotao), Ignacio W. Zubiri (Malaybalay City) and Osmundo dela Rosa (President Emeritus).durian post – bukidnon
Zubiri ended his 3-year term as governor in 2010 and swapped positions with his then vice governor Calingasan in that year’s polls.
The conflict between the two arose from speculations Calingasan had been courting support from opposition ranks for his reelection bid in 2013 and for allegedly behind a media smear campaign targetting Zubiri.

QUEZON, BUKIDNON – Celebrating Nutrition Month with a bang

By MEL N. VELEZ

QUEZON, Bukidnon – Success of government programs or celebrations can be measured in many ways through many elements: people, support, enthusiasm.
In the case of the recent celebration of Nutrition Month in this province’s center of commerce, good governance and empowered people, success came in the form of thousands of people enthusiastically supporting the local governments programs on good nutrition.
The crowd was filled with happiness and joy as the Local Government Unit of Quezon headed by Mayor Gregorio Lloren Gue, ended with a big, big bang, during the culmination rites at the Dona Resing Park, the successful month-long 38th Nutrition Month celebration.
This year’s theme was ‘’Pagkain ng Gulay Ugaliin, Araw-araw itong Ihain.’’
Mayor Gue, whose leadership is undisputed for his various accomplishments in governance, left another milestone as he exerted efforts by spearheading the nutrition programs of the 31 barangays before the July 31 closing day of the celebration, by giving free vegetable seeds and organic fertilizers.
In his speech, Mayor Gue urged his constituents to fully support the nutrition program of the government to curb malnutrition.
He expressed thanks for the support the nutrition month celebration gathered from barangay officials, the constituents, the national government agencies and the private sector and prayed good nutrition through regular eating of vegetables would be practiced by households year-round.
‘’Gulayan Ng Bayan’’, one of Mayor Gue’s nutrition intervention approach, has earned recognition from the national government and has installed Quezon as a Hall of Famer for consistently winning the title in the nationwide search for LGUs which are outstanding in their nutrition programs.
Thousands of residents of farflung barangays have benefited from Mayor Gue’s Gulayan ng Bayan program.
Further in his speech, Mayor Gue encouraged the constituents to plant more vegetables in the backyard, not only for the benefit of health but also for economic factor that leads to family savings on food expenses.
But he injected an environmental element to his message by  also urging them to raise vegetables on organic fertilizer and not on synthetic chemicals that poses risks to health. Organic farming is a strong point emphasized in Mayor Gue’s Gulayan project.
The organic element of the project has extended to fighting vegetable pests with organic insecticides with technical support from the local government’s agriculture office.
Quezon, popularly known as the Sugar Capital in Mindanao is not being left behind as a vegetables producer in the province, helped a lot by the Gulayan project. Local garden produce are in fact now being sold outside of Quezon.
First lady Carmen Capistrano Gue, a wife and mother who is known for being compassionate to women rights and the poor, has her hands full in supporting her husband’s projects especially the Gulayan ng Bayan, which primarily benefits growing children, whose health is one of her major concerns.
During the culmination rites, Carmen Gue reminded parents that good nutrition starts at home, She has religiously promoted the G4 (Go, Grow and Glow) program on good nutrition, and thanked government workers for being with her in pushing the program.
Nutrition Month is an annual event held every July in accordance with Presidential Decree no. 491 known as the Nutrition Act of the Philippines which created the National Nutrition Council (NNC).
Program speaker Dr. Evangelene Colinares-Revilla emphasized the importance and nutrientional values of eating vegetables and urged the people to increase their backyard garden production.
Data shows that Filipinos now eat less vegetables and eating habits tend to eating artificial foods that hreaten health, Dr. Colinares-Revilla said.
Poverty is not the reason that we can not afford to have nutritious food.  What it is important is to plant vegetables at the backyard for food on the table and to save money, she added.
Vice Mayor Alberto Alo Sr. is in full support of the program and vowed to help eradicate malnutrition.
Quezon has a 9.19% malnutrition prevalent rate according to Nutrition Officer Elizabeth L. Coquilla, RND.
The Nutrition Month celebration included the distribution of wheelchairs for children having physical and mental abnormalities in partnership with Asian Children Foundation. Last year, 50 wheelchairs were given out free.
Another attraction was the proclamation in the search for Healthy Mama and Healthy Baby contest, Nutrition Jingle and Modern Dance casts by parents have awarded with cash prizes and give away products.
THE WINNERS ARE:
Best Mama and Healthy Baby – Brenda and Brenshen Amethys Terec (3rd), Jenevie and John Rey Bautista (2nd) and Mary Jane and Ashlyn Nicole Bernaldez (Champion). Jingle- Barangay Poblacion (3rd),Barangay Minongan (2nd) and Barangay Kipaypayon (1st). For Modern Dance – Barangay Poblacion (3rd), Barangay Kiburiao (2nd) and Barangay Libertad (Champion).

THE DURIAN POST – BUKIDNON – VOL. 1 NO 1 – JULY 290AUG 5, 2012

Honasan joins fight vs.
sale of Agus, Pulangi
BY ROGER M. BALANZA and MEL N. VELEZ

Mindanaoans opposing outsiders meddling with their power woes with a plan to sell two state-owned hydropower complexes in the island have found an ally in the Senate in Senator Gregorio Honasan.
Senator Honasan has lent his support to the campaign to block the sale of the Pulangi and Agus hydropower complexes in Bukidnon as President Aquino stalled a government plan to privatize the complexes that supply power to a large part of Mindanao.
There is need for government to come up with a policy based on accurate data, said Honasan in Davao City last month.
The Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001 (Epira) mandated sale of government-owned power utilities due to their status as highly subsidized but non-earning economic enterprises for the government thatd led billions of pesos in loses.
But Honasan said government may have the wrong figures especially in relation to Pulangi and Agus and is filing a proposal amending the Epira to exempt the Mindanao complexes from being privatized.
The proposal by Honasan, a member of the Senate committee on energy, backstops moves by the Mindanao Commission on Women (MCM) and the Bukidnon Power Commission, which openly opposed the sale.
Irene M. Santiago, MCM chair emerita and chief executive officer, said MCM has already received pledges through social networking sites and other means for its campaign to raise P1 billion to symbolically buy the plants in case the privatization pushes through.
President Benigno Aquino has aborted the planned privatization of two major hydropower complexes in Mindanao, a move fully supported by BPC.
The BPC is also pushing Bukidnon power stakeholders to have a bigger role in the proposed Mindanao Power Corporation (MinPOCOR), a government-owned and controlled corporation (GOCC) that would take over management and operation of the power situation in Mindanao from the National Power Corporation (Napocor).
The creation OF MinPOCOR and the Mindanao Power Monitoring Committee (MPMC) were proposed by Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) chairman Lualhati Antonino, during the Mindanao Power Summit held in Davao City on May 14, 2012 and attended by President Aquino.
To give strength to its bid to be a major actor in the power situation in Mindanao, the BPC held its 3rd Bukidnon Power Summit on June 5, and passed a Resolution asking President Aquino and MinDa to designate the Bukidnon Electric Consumers (BECO) Foundation, representing Bukidnon power consumers, as member of the Mindanao Power Monitoring Committee (BPMC).
Convenors of the BPC are the First Bukidnon Electric Cooperative, Inc. (FIBECO), Bukidnon Second Electric Cooperative, Inc. (BUSECO) and the  Bukidnon Electric Consumers Foundation (BECO).
BPC is supported by  among others the Bukidnon Provincial Government, municipal local government units, the Multi- Sectoral Electrification Advisory Council (MSEAC) and the business community. BPC through Fibeco and Buseco had pushed the sale of the hydropower plants to electric cooperatives while the government-run Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corporation (PSALM) was seeking bids for the privatization, before the Mindanao Power Summit where President Aquino aborted the move to allow Mindanaoans a bigger role in resolving the power crisis in the island.
The privatization of the state-owned Agus-Pulangui  Hydropower Plant complexes was among those proposed by government but this was strongly opposed by Mindanaoans. Pulangui IV at Kiuntod, Maramag, Bukidnon can generate 255MW but its power generating capacity has been cut off by 50% power due to siltation.
The PSALM was already in the motion of privatizing the hydropower complexes, when President Aquino stalled the sale to the private csector following the proposal of Antonino at the Mindanao Power Summit.
Third district Congressman Joey Zubiri and Vice Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri Jr. strongly supported the creation of the MinPOCOR and opposed the sale of the hydropower plants to private companies, which could lead to higher power rates and poor service to consumers.
The Association of Mindanao Rural Electric Cooperative (AMRECO) executive director Clint Pacana said MinPOCOR is the solution to Mindanao’s power woes..

Mayor Gregorio Lloren Gue, first lady Carmen Capistrano Gue spearhead Nutrition Month

by MEL VELEZ

QUEZON, Bukidnon – As the nation observed July as 38th Nutrition Month, Mayor Gregorio Lloren Gue and town first lady Carmen Capistrano Gue led observance of the barangay nutrition programs.

Carmen Gue reminded parents that good nutrition starts at home and promoted eating of more vegetables in line with this year’s Nutrition Month that was celebrated with the theme: Pagkain Ng Gulay Ugaliin, Araw-araw Itong Ihain.

She also promoted the G4 advocacy for Garden of Go, Grow and Glow.
Quezon’s 31 barangays joined the celebration highlighted by contests on jingle, food display, dance, healthy mama and baby. MEL N. VELEZ

Garbage, nutrition star in 7th Araw ng Catumbalon

BY MEL VELEZ

CITY of VALENCIA, Bukidnon – Barangay Catumbalon of this city celebrated its 7th Founding Anniversary on July 20 in a festive mood but with a different spin: a strong focus on garbage and nutrition.
For good reasons: July 20 fell on Nutrition Month; and Barangay Catumbalon is well known for its strong advocacy for environmental protection anchored on its ordinance on ecological solid waste management.
And its residents responded with energy to the call of Barangay Chairperson Arlene S. Macanim for good nutrition and proper waste disposal, which were highlighted during the celebration.
Barangay Catumbalon is widely known for its awards on solid waste management in the city, provincial and regional levels on top of its having been a nominee in the national contests.
One of the highlights of its annual anniversary celebration is a contest on recycling with contestants wearing attires from non-biodegrable materials like tetrapacks and plastic sachets. The contest is now being replicated by other barangays.
To give credit to the success of the barangay solid waste management program, Macanim has thanked purok leaders, senior citizens, parents, teachers, and residents for their support.
Macanim also thanked barangay council members Helen C. Acuesta, Gilbert P. Huervas, Juanito A. de Asis, William B. Noser, Domingo C. Lachica, Antonio L. Panes and Rizalito C. Decin for approving the solid waste management ordinance which imposed a P1000 fine and community service on violators. MEL N. VELEZ

Valencia City, Bukidnon bans expansion of pineapple, banana farms

PINEAPPLE PLANTATIONS. Cause of massive flooding in Bukidnon

By MEL N. VELEZ

VALENCIA City, Bukidnon– Blaming them for massive floods, the City Council has passed a resolution declaring a moratorium on expansion of banana and pineapple plantations.
No  matter if they contribute to the economy.
To be hit hard by the moratorium are large multi-national corporations  (MNCs) seeking permits for expansion for monocrop plantations.

ALSO READ: Valencia City council passes moratorium on Bukidnon News
Author of the resolution Committee Chair on Environment Councilor Dr. Almer Alfonso said the measure to protect the environment and people is supported by the Association of Baranagay Council (ABC) which has passed a resolution against expansion.
About 3200 hectares—only a fourth of total number of hectares issued certificate of environmental compliance by DENR— are planted with bananas and pineapple and the MNCs are seeking expansion permits from the city council.
To put more teeth to the resolution, environment committee vice chair Councilor Glen Peduche has proposed an ordinance not to issue business permits to the MNCs.
Vice Mayor Azucena Huervas, known for her strong advocay on environmental protection, has proposed an ordinance requiring the companies to construct large catch basins to prevent floods.
The city councilors in declaring a moratorium also expressed fear of contamination of springs by deadly chemicals from the plantations.
Frequent floods in the barangays of Bagontaas, Sugod, Batangan, Kahaponan, Pinatilan, Maapag and Catumbalon are blamed largely on the monocrop plantations.