MARCOS slammed for using emergency alert text blasts for political propaganda

By ROGER M. BALANZA

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) frownson politicins using the emergency alert system for purposes of political propaganda.

“Ill-advised,” said the Comelec on Wednesday, October 6, after alert messages appeared following the filing of a certificate of candidacy for president by former senator Bongbong Marcos.

“Needless to say, the use of the emergency alert system for political propaganda purposes is ill-advised, at best. Whether or not criminal liability will attach to those who are behind this move will have to be determined by the appropriate agencies of government,” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez .

The text blasts  were sent to those present at the Harbor Garden Tent of Sofitel in Pasay City after Bongbong Marcos, son of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, formalized his presidential bid.

The emergency alert used words that start with the acronym BBM or short for Bongbong Marcos. The hashtag #BBM2022 also appeared on the alert message.

Marcos camp cries ‘political sabotage,” disowns emergency alert blasts

The camp of presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bong Bong” Marcos Jr. is supporting the investigation on the emergency alerts containing campaign messages promoting his camp when he filed his candidacy on Wednesday, saying these were “political sabotage”.

In a statement on Wednesday, Marcos chief-of-staff, lawyer Victor Rodriguez, said such “underhanded moves” should not be tolerated as the emergency alert system is a tool used to warn the public of disasters.

“We hope that the responsible parties do not interfere with government systems just to operate political sabotage against presidential aspirant Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos,” Rodriguez said.

He supported the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and its intention to investigate the improper use of the emergency alert system.

In a separate statement, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the emergency alert promoting Marcos did not come from them nor from their partners in the telecommunications sector.

“Emergency notifications issued today by the NDRRMC are only about rainfall warnings due to the current weather disturbance and nothing else,” the NDRRMC said.

Earlier, NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba ordered an “immediate” investigation into the emergency alerts, with telecommunications companies so far confirming that they did not release any such messages. (PNA)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s