3 dead in Barangay Tulalian outbreak
SANTO TOMAS, Davao del Norte (July 20, 2021)—Three diarrhea patients in Barangay Tulalian were found to be COVID-19 positive, while three patients died of diarrhea as health officials here were ramping up disinfection and chlorination to contain the outbreak of the water-borne disease.
Based on the Santo Tomas LGU’s municipal health office report, three patients who were tested for reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) were found positive for coronavirus.
The swab results were released on Tuesday, July 20.
3 COVID-19 positive
A 20-year-old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 was symptomatic, while the other two patients were asymptomatic.
All three were in strict isolation while recovering from the water-borne disease. The three were among the 99 patients who were subjected to RT-PCR test.
This after health officials suspected that patients might be infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing COVID-19, after some were diagnosed with diarrhea but without the symptoms of dehydration.
Also, two patients had died on Tuesday afternoon after the loss of body fluids due to diarrhea. The patients were an 81-year-old female and a 69-year-old female, all residents of Barangay Tulalian, Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte.
81-year-old patient was admitted last July 16 at Carmen District Hospital and expired around 10 a.m Tuesday while the 68-year-old patient, in hypovokemic shock (severe body fluid loss), was rushed to the makeshift treatment facility Barangay Tulalian Covered Court.
Unfortunately, the patient also expired despite the resuscitation performed by health personnel in an attempt to revive the patient. The two female corpses were subjected to a postmortem swab specimens for SARS-CoV-2 testing. The MHO also conducted a random rectal swabbing to 17 patients who fell ill with the water-borne disease. Of the 17 patients, eight ( were found out to be cholera positive.
Earlier, stool tests of patients showed they suffered acute diarrhea secondary to amoebiasis, a water-borne ailment. Most of the patients were admitted to various private and public hospitals were severely dehydrated and had been responding well to treatment.As of Tuesday, the total number of diarrhea cases stood at 444 while death toll was at three.
Mayor Ernesto Evangelista has ordered the Municipal Health Office (MHO) to ramp up the chlorination efforts in the affected households. On Tuesday, the MHO’s Sanitation Team began the chlorination water source and led the distribution of chlorine to the affected households. The team also distributed aqua tabs, a water purification tablets which kill micro-organisms in water to prevent cholera, typhoid, dysentery and other water borne diseases.Four hundred aqua tabs and jerrycans were donated by the Provincial Health Office (PHO) and the Department of Health (DOH) to beef up the Santo Tomas LGU’s response in the diarrhea outbreak.
Municipal Administrator Atty. Elisa Evangelista-Lapiña said the Santo Tomas LGU continuously implemented the water rationing in Barangay Tulalian, following the diarrhea outbreak that left three people dead and more than 88 others hospitalized in private and public hospitals. Lapiña said the while waiting for the laboratory results of the water sampling, the barangay’s water source was temporarily closed since it was prone to bacteria contamination.